We have obligations for managing and storing your information:
UNIVERSITY OF TASMANIA PRIVACY COLLECTION STATEMENT FOR CITIZEN SCIENTIST PROGRAM - REDMAP
This statement applies to non-students and non-staff.
The personal information collected by us, or on our behalf, will be used for the purposes of the research project titled “Redmap – Range Extension Database and Mapping database”. The project invites Australians to share sightings of marine species that are “uncommon” to their local seas.
When users register we capture some basic personal information
* First name & Last name
* Email address
* Default region of interest (e.g. Tasmania)
When users report a sighting we capture the details provided
* Who - the user who reported the sighting
* What - the species sighted, the type of habitat, weight, size, a count of how many were seen, a photo of the sighting
* Where - a location described as a point and accuracy measure and depth measure
* When - the date and time of day
* How - type of activity the user was involved in when the sighting was made
Redmap uses this citizen science data to map which Australian marine species may be extending their distribution in response to changes in the marine environment, such as ocean warming.
This data also highlights regions and species that may be experiencing more distribution changes, so that research can be focused into these areas.
Further information about the project can be accessed via the website - http://www.imas.utas.edu.au/community/citizen-science/citizen-science-lbs/citizen-science/redmap
In addition, Redmap will use your data to prepare analyses and for quality assurance, benchmarking and planning purposes, and to comply with legislative reporting requirements.
The information (such as your Redmap sighting) may be disclosed to other organisations:
* With your consent; or
* Where it is necessary given the University's use of contracted service providers to provide services on its behalf (such as mailing houses, logistics, IT service providers); Some of our service providers are located outside of Tasmania and/or Australia and, as a result, personal information collected and held by the University may be transferred outside of Tasmania (but within Australia) or outside Australia;
** Where it is required or authorised by law; or
** Where the disclosure is permitted by the privacy laws.
Deleting your personal information
Redmap complies with requests to delete your personal data. If you would like your personal data removed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will begin the process.